Word length: 700-800 words
Format: Double-spaced, Size 12 point font Upload format: .doc, .docx, or .pdf only
This assignment requires you to
1) select, and explain a key concept(s) from one of the theorists below, and 2) apply the concept(s) to an analysis of a media example(s) (not used in class) of your choosing.
Select at least ONE of the following:
Kimmel, hegemonic masculinity
Katz, violent masculinity in advertising (lecture)
Bartky, disciplinary practices of femininity (and/or masculinity); panoptical male gaze
Mulvey, the male gaze
Shugart, the male-on-male gaze; commercial masculinity
Goffman, gender displays (of masculinity and/or femininity) (lecture, clips from The Codes of Gender)
See the attached reading files, detailed analysis of each theory is represent.
- Begin by explaining Goffman’s concept of “gender displays” then analyze a collection of contemporary advertisements to see if what he says about displays of femininity and masculinity still hold true.
- Begin by explaining Barkty’s concept of “disciplinary practices of femininity.” You can then make this the focus of your analysis or you can consider the questions: what do disciplinary practices of masculinity look like? What ways are this similar or different from disciplinary practices of femininity? Then, analyze media that focuses on disciplinary practices of masculinity.
- Begin by explaining Kimmel’s concept of “hegemonic masculinity” and then analyze a character from a film, television show, or artist in a music video. (You can also analyze a media artifact that features a representation of masculinity that is not hegemonic.)
Your response essay will be graded based on the following criteria:
- Your ability to correctly define/explain the key concept in your own words
- Your ability to apply the concept to an analysis of a media text
- The appropriateness, clarity, and descriptiveness of your “evidence” (i.e. media example).
- The organization of your ideas (e.g. the “readability” of your essay).
- Overall writing, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, stylization (e.g. proper use of italics when citing names of films or television shows).
- Correct use of MLA or APA citation style.
- Meeting and staying within the required word count.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post media theory analysis writing essay appeared first on The Nursing Hub.